Find out what are the food truck permits in Nashville with Hispanic Entrepreneurs. This is a great business opportunity because there will always be customers willing to try your products. In addition, you have the possibility to move from one place to another in search of better sales; as long as you do it in places that are authorized to do so.
Nashville among the best cities to have a food truck
Food trucks are a business that has become very popular in the United States. If you are a chef looking to start your own business, this is a profitable alternative, especially in cities like Nashville.
According to Food Truck IndexNashville is among the top ten cities in the country to have a food truck. Three criteria were taken into account to calculate this index:
- Obtaining licenses and permits.
- Compliance with restrictions.
- Operate a food exchange.
Regarding the obtaining of permits and licenses, it ranked 12th. The owners of the food trucks and Nashville they must comply with 25 procedures, which can be completed in 15 trips to the office. In addition, they pay an average of $ 1,343 to start the business.
As for compliance with restrictions, such as proximity rules, it was also ranked 12th. While in operation they invest an average of $ 29,579 and make around 22 visits to offices to complete 10 procedures; This gives them the eleventh place in this criterion.
Over the past few years, the food truck business has grown significantly in the United States. For 2017 they made $ 2,700 billion in profit. In addition, your truck can specialize in any type of food.
Another advantage is that you can take care of the business yourself. An important point especially when you are starting, since you will not have to hire employees. However, there are a series of requirements and permits that you must comply with to have your food sale.
Food truck permits in Nashville
A food cart is a business like any other, so you should review what do you need to have a food truck. This includes obtaining an Employer Number (EIN), business license, mobile food preparation license, being prepared for the inspections of the Health Department, the certificate of the Fire Department, among others.
This means that starting your business goes beyond buying the truck or trailer and starting to prepare food. You must be ready to meet all federal, state, and local requirements.
The food truck is a motorized vehicle in which prepares or serves food and drinks. It can also be a trailer hitched to a licensed vehicle. For Davidson County and the Nashville government to approve them, they must have power, refrigeration, food preparation facilities and space for at least two employees.
In addition, to start operating they must meet specific requirements for a food service business. As well as those referring to the location of the truck and the hours in which the sale is allowed. In this regard, only the areas designated for mobile food sales units should be used. None of these should operate in the hours between 3:30 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
Documents Needed for Mobile Food Vendor Permit
To obtain a permit you must complete the application and submit it along with the following documents:
- Vehicle registration number, description and photographs.
- Valid driver's license issued by the state.
- Copy of the owner's business license and tax identification.
- Description of the food and the menu.
- Working hours.
- Description and plans of the unit.
- List of equipment that will be used to prepare food.
- Copy of the health permit.
- Solid waste recycling plan.
- Letter of permission and address of the curator.
- Equipment list and evidence of wastewater discharge agreement.
- Fire Department permit and equipment list.
- Written authorization from the owners and a copy of the lease of the location.
- Units that will remain on private property must have a Code Department building application number and a copy of the tracking form. In addition to the plan and photos of each site.
If you want to sell in a park you must do the procedure before the Parks and Recreation Department. For this you will need, in addition to the application form:
- Liability insurance in which Metro Parks & Recreation is named as additional insured.
- Certificate from the Fire Department for the vehicle.
- Certificate from the Department of Health.
- Tennessee State Business License.
- Food truck photography.
To obtain the permit, the vehicle must meet the food truck requirements.
In addition to these Nashville food truck permits, you may need to comply with other processes and obtain certificates. But this is basic to be able to operate.